the cranberryY BOOST

8 foods to boost your holiday mood | Fox News
Sign in to comment!
8 foods to boost your holiday mood
The holidays are often a stressful time of year and it’s often all too easy to find comfort in food. Eight of the nation’s top nutritionists provide their favorite mood-boosting foods along with tasty tips about how to include them in your everyday diet.ADVERTISEMENTADVERTISEMENT
1.&nbspTart dried cherries
Why I like it: “Tart dried cherries have the ideal combo of sweet, tart and chewy so they are perfect for satisfying any of these cravings. Plus they're super portable so they are great for an on the run snack.”
Why it’s a good mood food: “When you’re out late at night during the holidays, your body clock can get out of whack. Tart cherries are one of nature’s only sources of melatonin, a hormone that regulates your body clock and helps you sleep better. A better night’s sleep definitely impacts your mood!”
How to eat it: “The easiest way to eat these is to sprinkle them on your yogurt or cereal but you can get even more creative by tossing a couple of handfuls into cranberry sauce for a sweet, spicy bite.”
- Karen Ansel, MS, RDN, a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,
2.&nbspOmelet stuffed with herb sautéed mushrooms
Why I like it: “Starting the day with a substantial breakfast helps to keep me energetic throughout the day.”
Why it’s a good mood food: “Vitamin D is found in both eggs and mushrooms. The vitamin is known to increase serotonin levels in the brain, which can lead to improved mood. During the winter season, getting vitamin D from food is especially important since many won’t be getting as much of this nutrient by way of sunshine.”
How to eat it: “I prefer to overstuff my omelet with mushrooms so the veggies become the star. And since mushrooms provide ‘meatiness,’ I pair my omelets with seasonal fruit rather than a greasy side of bacon or sausage.”
- Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, culinary nutritionist and author of 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes,
3.&nbspMeatballs and spaghetti
spaghetti and meatballs
Why I like it: “Meatballs and spaghetti made with whole-wheat pasta, chicken or turkey meatballs, tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese is one of my favorite winter dishes. Not only is this meal pure comfort food, but the whole-wheat spaghetti packs in complex carbohydrates that energize and fuel the brain, red blood cells and entire central nervous system.”
Why it’s a good mood food: “The lean ground chicken or turkey provides high-quality protein as well as selenium (an important antioxidant mineral that supports immune function), niacin (a B vitamin that helps the body turn carbohydrates and fat into energy), and vitamin B6 (important for creating ‘feel good’ neurotransmitters like serotonin). Eating protein-rich foods will help keep you satisfied and help your blood sugar levels stay on an even keel.”
How to eat it: “The key when it comes to eating meatballs and spaghetti—even chicken or turkey meatballs—is to use lean ground chicken or turkey breast, low sodium canned tomato sauce (I also like to use fresh tomato lightly sautéed in a little olive oil sprinkled with garlic and onion powder)."
- Elisa Zied, MS, RD, CDN, NYC-based registered dietitian nutritionist and author of Younger Next Week,
4.&nbspOatmeal
Why I like it: “Eating a hearty and healthy breakfast during the holidays is an excellent strategy for preventing overeating at holiday office parties and family get-togethers.”
Why it’s a good mood food: “There's research to show that good carbs, such as whole grains, can promote the production of serotonin, a feel-good brain chemical. &In fact, a recent study showed that people who followed a very-low-carbohydrate diet experienced more depression, anxiety and anger than those assigned to a diet that focused on low-fat dairy, whole grains, fruit and beans. Also, oatmeal is a good source of fiber, which keeps us feeling full long after the meal.”
How to eat it: “Oatmeal is like pasta. &It has a mild flavor and so is a blank canvas to add whatever combination of add-ons your taste buds desire. &An assortment of dried fruits, nuts and seeds adds flavor, texture and an abundance of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants to your breakfast. &If you don't have the time to cook oatmeal in the morning, don't turn to sugar-laden instant oatmeal. Instead, make a week's worth of oatmeal in the slow cooker in one shot, divvy up single portion servings and then reheat one serving each morning with your favorite toppings. &&&
- Rachel Begun, MS, RDN, registered dietitian and food and nutrition consultant in Boulder, CO,
5.&nbspSpicy salsa
Why I like it: "Low in calories but packed with flavor and heat, salsa paired with simple homemade whole-wheat tortilla chips are a fast and delicious appetizers or snack." &&
Why it’s a good mood food: "Salsa has both cayenne pepper, which releases ‘good mood’ endorphins, and fresh cilantro to help relieve unwanted tension. Carbohydrate-rich whole-wheat tortilla chips are a great dipper because they release serotonin, one of the chemicals in our body that helps to give your mood a boost."
How to eat it: “Dress up fresh store-bought salsa with a dash of cayenne pepper (the heat helps to release ‘good mood’ endorphins) and some fresh cilantro (to help relieve unwanted tension). If you want to make your own, chop tomatoes, onions, avocado, and jalape?os then toss with fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro, and cayenne pepper.”
- Holley Grainger, MS, RD, culinary nutrition expert,
6.&nbspMeaty mushroom burgers
Why I like it: “Mushrooms are uber low in calories, helping you fill up without filling out. It is the only plant source of vitamin D good for building bones and helping retain muscle mass as you age. Mushrooms bring big meaty flavor without concerns of added saturated fat and cholesterol."
Why it’s a good mood food: "Besides helping you avoid feeling grumpy because you’re still hungry, meaty and filling mushrooms, like the shitake variety, are rich in the plant nutrient ergothioneine, which helps promote circulation. For men, more blood flow to certain parts of the body puts them in a good mood!”
How to eat it: “Make those burgers leaner by replacing 1/2 the ground beef with chopped mushrooms! Simple as that!”
- David Grotto, RDN, author of The Best Things You Can Eat,
7.&nbspAlmonds
Why I like it: “Pass on the high-cal pass-around foods like pigs in blankets and mini quiches and go for the nuts! Not only will you feel satisfied because of the crunch-value almonds provide but you can also feel good about getting heart-healthy fats, vitamin E, and calcium.”
Why it’s a good mood food: “Almonds help stabilize blood sugar levels which helps to smooth your mood.”
How to eat it: “Almonds are like the chameleons of a wide variety of dishes whether you're having sliced almonds sprinkled atop of fish, slivered almonds in your salad, chicken dipped in almond meal for a crunchy coating, or as creamy almond butter on whole grain bread as a great grab-and-go snack.”
- Bonnie Taub-Dix, RDN, author of Read It Before You Eat It, and nutrition expert based in New York,
8.&nbspWild salmon
Why I like it: “Wild salmon is loaded with healthy fats -- called omega-3's -- which are brain boosting nutrients that studies have shown keep you sharp throughout your years.” &&&&
Why it’s a good mood food: “Those powerful omega-3 fats are the primary fats in your brain, where mood is ‘controlled.’ &Several studies have demonstrated the importance of omega-3 fats as brain food.”
How to eat it: “Nothing better than a filet of grilled wild salmon -- yes, even in the winter -- I fire up the grill, brush the salmon with a bit of olive oil, black pepper and a pinch of salt.”
- Christopher R. Mohr, PhD, RD, sports nutrition consultant for the Cincinnati Bengals,
Patricia Bannan is a Los Angeles-based registered dietitian specializing in nutrition and health communications. &She is the author of "Eat Right When Time Is Tight: 150 Slim-Down Strategies and No-Cook Food Fixes." Visit her website at
and follow her on , , , and .
Advertisement
More Lists in Health
Popular Lists
Top Health Centers
Health Connect
Weekly news and features that matter the most to your well-being
Thank you!
Your subscription has been submitted.
Advertisement
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. &2015 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. All market data delayed 20 minutes.Nutritional strategies to boost immunity and prevent infection in elderly individuals.
- PubMed - NCBI
The NCBI web site requires JavaScript to function.
FormatSummarySummary (text)AbstractAbstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListChoose DestinationFileClipboardCollectionsE-mailOrderMy BibliographyCitation managerFormatSummary (text)Abstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListCSVCreate File1 selected item: FormatSummarySummary (text)AbstractAbstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListMeSH and Other DataE-mailSubjectAdditional textE-mailAdd to ClipboardAdd to CollectionsOrder articlesAdd to My BibliographyGenerate a file for use with external citation management software.Create File
2001 Dec 1;33(11):. Epub
2001 Oct 25.Nutritional strategies to boost immunity and prevent infection in elderly individuals.1.1Section of Infectious Diseases, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA. khigh@wfubmc.eduAbstractOlder adults are at risk for malnutrition, which may contribute to their increased risk of infection. Nutritional supplementation strategies can reduce this risk and reverse some of the immune dysfunction associated with advanced age. This review discusses nutritional interventions that have been examined in clinical trials of older adults. The data support use of a daily multivitamin or trace-mineral supplement that includes zinc (elemental zinc, &20 mg/day) and selenium (100 microg/day), with additional vitamin E, to achieve a daily dosage of 200 mg/day. Specific syndromes may also be addressed by nutritional interventions (for example, cranberry juice consumption to reduce urinary tract infections) and may reduce antibiotic use in older adults, particularly those living in long-term care facilities. Drug-nutrient interactions are common in elderly individuals, and care providers should be aware of these interactions. Future research should evaluate important clinical end points rather than merely surrogate markers of immunity.PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full textPublication TypesMeSH TermsSubstancesGrant SupportFull Text SourcesOther Literature SourcesMedical
Supplemental Content
External link. Please review our .Join our email list for exclusive offers
Enter the security code shown with
Copyright @ 1995 - 2012 Nature's BrandsThompson, Appetite Boost, 120 Tablets -
Your Cart is EmptyBut it doesn't have to be.
Thompson, Appetite Boost, 120 Tablets
Out of Stock
Shipping Weight:? 0.65 lbs (0.29 kg)
Product Code:
Package Quantity:
120 Tablets
Dimensions: 2.5 x 2.5 x 4.5 in, 0.55 lbs (0.25 kg)
Our Price:
(¥ 60.09)
$7.09 (42%)
Volume Discount
Buy 2+Save 10%
Buy 4+Save 12%
Buy 12+Save 15%
Add To Wish List
Related Products
Product Overview
Description
Since 1932
Advanced Formula
Fresh & Healthy
Four Daily
Dietary Supplement
Discussion: Appetite Boost dietary supplement is intended to provide nutritive support for a normal, healthy appetite. Appetite Boost supplement should be taken as part of a well balanced and nutritious diet.
Our own laboratory analysis guarantees purity and freshness of all Thompson products.
Suggested Use
Use only as directed. Take 4 tablets daily, before meals.
Other Ingredients
Cellulose, gelatin, stearic acid, lipids, sucrose and silica.
Do not use if safety seal is broken or missing. Keep out of reach of children. Keep your licensed health care practitioner informed when using this product. If you are experiencing a significant loss of appetite or weight, you should consult a health care practitioner.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 4 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
(as natural mixed carotenoids isolated from the sea algae Dunaliella salina)
Thiamine (as thiamine HCl)
Riboflavin (B-2)
Niacin (as niacinamide)
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCl)
Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin)
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate)
Calcium (as calcium carbonate)
Magnesium (as magnesium carbonate)
Zinc (as zinc citrate)
Copper (as copper citrate)
Recently Viewed Products

我要回帖

更多关于 the cranberry 的文章

随机推荐